If you've been following Singapore's Mandopop scene, you would've heard of 插班生 the Freshman, a talented singer-songwriter duo comprising Carrie Yeo and Chen Diya. The both of them are coffee-addicts and bring their trusty AeroPress along with them when they go on tour. They are currently busy touring with the King of Mandopop, Jacky Cheung, but we managed to catch up with them to hear their thoughts on coffee!
1. We're glad that our Joe Curious selections have been accompanying you on your world tour. How have you managed to keep brewing your own coffee even on the road?
AeroPress! It's really the easiest to work with!
2. How do you like to make your coffee when you're not on the road?
I also have a hand grinder and Diya used to be a barista, so we play around a little with grind size and how long we brew for. It's really fun. And we love that the room smells like a cafe afterwards.
3. How do each of you like to have your coffee?
Diya enjoys an iced black, while I have my coffee with soy milk.
4. ANY TIPS FOR OTHER BUDDING HOME BARISTAS OUT THERE?
Know what you like and just find a way to make it happen! But be open to experimenting and adventures!
5. You must encounter many cafes and roasters on your travels. Could you share with us some of your favourite overseas cafes or roasters?
Oh! I reeeeaally enjoyed Knockbox in Hong Kong. They have a drink called Dirty and it's possibly the best drink I've ever had. I still dream of it all the time.
8. AND FINALLY, WHICH MONTH'S JOE CURIOUS BEANS ARE YOUR FAVOURITE THUS FAR?
My favourite beans I've received so far is from Blooom in Macau! Since your recommendation, I've been getting my friends to get for me whenever I hear someone is going to Macau!